Friday, May 7, 2010

Speak Now, or Don't Complain

Alright my dears, Team Bodacity is just 5 weeks away from the Teton Dam Marathon Relay. This means we need to step up our training, work out our travel plans and start managing the details. On the left hand side of this blog you'll find links to the marathon as well as a course map and an elevation map. Now is your chance to volunteer for the leg of the race that you want to run. If you don't volunteer, you will be assigned one by me. (Because I can do that. Moo-wah-ah-ah!)

I've v0lunteered to be runner 2, this will be from miles 4-9 it's the leg with the biggest climbs and highest elevation.

Runner 1 - from the start to mile 4, this person will have to catch the shuttle bus to the starting line at Madison High School at 5:00am. The rest of us will meet you at the checkpoint in the official team vehicle. So bear that in mind if you volunteer for this leg. This is a pretty flat leg though, after a small climb at the very beginning and a little climb into the exchange area.

Runner 3 - Miles 9-13, this runner probbly has the most downhill in their run. That may sound fantastic, but running downhill can trash your quads really fast, so if you're not used to it, you may want to leave that to someone who is.

Runner 4 - Probably the flattest portion of the race with a slight downhill grade over miles 13-17. The downhill is so gradual, it shouldn't bother you though.

Runner 5 - Miles 17-21, a slight climb at the first and a few rolling hills, but otherwise, a pretty steady four mile.

Runner 6 - Miles 21-26, this is the person who will bring us home. This is also a five mile leg as opposed to four, so whoever takes this one needs to be prepared to do five. The topography on the elevation chart doesn't look too bad, a couple of hills, a little downhill at the end, but nothing that should cause problems. We need someone who can maintain a pretty good pace and give us a strong finish.

As for a team vehicle, I was thinking that we could use the jeep since there will only be 5 of us in it at a time (and since Shiloh's bus will probably be needed to transport or cheering squad, aka the kiddos to the finish line) and we can take turns driving to the next checkpoint. We need to make some killer signs for it though!

Let's remember that we're all in this together and they only count the overall team time, so we all want to do our very best and put in the best run we can as a team.

Okay so on that note I'll let you all go back to working and sweating.

Love you!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I think one of the east coast gals should do the first leg since it will seem 7 A.M. to their bodies and that might give us a good start. I've been doing some hill training so I can do leg 3 if no one else wants to. I'm also good for legs 4 or 5 or whatever the heck you need me to do.

Hillary and Jake said...

I've been training uphill, so I'll 5. but I volunteer Shiloh for 6 I think she can give us the best time on a 5 mile leg. And I think she will help us finish strong.

Cali and Travis said...

Okay Skye is runner three, Hillary is runner 5. Jesse, Cami, Shiloh, decide who wants 1, 4 & 6 and let me know!

Jacob and Cami said...

I don't know how I'll do in the cold morning air, but I'll kick us off if nobody else wants it. Or I'll do the 5 miler at the end. Doesn't matter.

Cali and Travis said...

Per my discussion with Cami, we are going to let her have the last leg. She thinks she'll be able to manage five miles by then, so we're going to let her bring us home. Which leaves Jesse & Shiloh to duke it out for who has to get up at 0'dark 30 and catch the shuttle bus. If it's Shiloh, she can probably just take the kia up the high school that morning since mom will be driving her bus with our "Support Crew" (and yes we're going to make them t-shirts that say that and mom's will say "Crew Chief.) But that's up to Jesse and Shiloh to decide. Enjoy ladies!

Kelly and Jesse said...

whatever

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Okay, now that I have recovered from Jesse's in depth comment on her upcoming leg of the race..... Just exactly am I doing besides shuttling the cheerleading squad around. And do you think I need to get an assistant crew chief or anything. Do I need to have special food and drinks for the runners as well as the crew? Please inform.
Gracias.

Cali and Travis said...

Yes, mama, you are the crew chief and we'll have some snacks and water and stuff in the team vehicle, but if you want to have special snacks/drinks a picnic lunch (it will be right around lunch time as we finish so a picnic could be really fun) that would be great. As for an assistant crew chief, feel free to draft whom ever you'd like. As I understand it there might be a couple of uncles available (Kelly, Jake, potentially Travis) and of course, Grandpa would make a great co-chief. But that's between you and them.

Cali and Travis said...

Okay it's official, Shiloh is runner 1 and Jesse is runner 4. So Shiloh will take a car up to the high school to be on the shuttle bus, I can pick up Jesse at about 6am on my way to grandma's house to drop off the kiddos and pick up the rest of the runners, so we can be at the exchange point by 7. Let me know if there's anything else we need to go over for now. You all have your assignments so ready......go!