Wednesday, November 4, 2009

For the Beginners

Here's a great beginning training plan for those who haven't started running at all yet. It doesn't matter how fast you run, or how much distance you cover, the idea is simply to get your body used to running for thirty minutes. So take it easy during your runs, especially at first. Just listen to your body and go at a comfortable pace. It's suggested that you do this plan on M-W-F & Saturday and on the other days do some kind of cross training or strength training. (I'm partial to Pilates myself.)



Week 1: Run 2 Minutes, Walk 4 Minutes. Repeat 5 times.

Week 2: Run 3 Minutes, Walk 3 Minutes. Repeat 5 times.

Week 3: Run 5 Minutes, Walk 2.5 Minutes. Repeat 4 times.

Week 4: Run 7 Minutes, Walk 3 Minutes. Repeat 3 times.

Week 5: Run 8 Minutes, Walk 2 Minutes. Repeat 3 times.

Week 6: Run 9 Minutes, Walk 2 Minutes. Repeat twice then run 8 minutes.

Week 7: Run 9 Minutes, Walk 1 Minute. Repeat 3 times.

Week 8: Run 13 Minutes, Walk 2 Minutes. Repeat Twice.

Week 9: Run 14 Minutes, Walk 1 Minute. Repeat Twice.

Week 10: Run 30 Minutes.

Remember it's vital to take at least one recovery day a week where you're not doing any kind of strenuous exercise at all. This does not mean you have to be a couch potato, it simply means you're conciously not exercising to give your muscles a chance to recover.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. I'll be posting some nutrition ideas soon.

4 comments:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Hmmmm....I think I used to have something like that on my computer. I hope someday I will be able to use it.

Corey said...

Check out the couch to 5k links I posted here:

http://myfithabits.com/?p=4

specifically I'm a huge fan of the Podrunner intervals podcast. The music is timed for each week's run, so you know when to change from running to walking.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Good luck!
-C

Cali and Travis said...

Nice! Thanks for the tip Corey!

Unknown said...

Hey Cali, have you read that Eating For Life book I lent you? Even if you're not interested in the meal plan (Ryan and I love it though), there's some great nutritional tips and facts in there. They might be good for posting.